Sunday, January 3, 2010

STATS
Creepy pick-up attempts at a wedding by Korean men who speak fluent English: 2
Number of guys who walked into work with a fresh perm this week:
1
Types of kimchi currently in my fridge:
2
Roadtrip of the week: UNESCO heritage sight and Silla Dynasty capital Gyeongju
Latest published article:
Jan. 2010 issue available for viewing at daegupockets.com Winning quote said to me: "I tried your gingerbread. I think you will be a good wife."
Ridiculous purchase of the week: fake gold chains laid out on a blanket in the subway in Seoul for $3 a pop.
Writing Tip: Periodically ask yourself "who cares" as you are writing. You will be surprised at how much you cut.
Guy who everyone thought was my boyfriend: My BROTHER
Korean language issue of the week/mockery of Melinda:
(This is primarily for Yuri and will be expanded on when I have access to a Korean keyboard)
"HA HA HA MELINDA! say 까지 now say 같이!"

Merry X-rated XMAS:
My brother delivered a number of presents for me. One of my requests was a selection of lingerie from La Senza. The card on the present was signed by mom, Paul, and Nicolas. What did Paul write? "Make sure to show the boy a good time."
note: he did not know what was in the package... LOL

Korean or Cuban? El arroz con gris
For our Christmas dinner, I decided to cook something vegetarian. I went with a big pot of cuban black beans and rice, even taking the time to verify the recipe with a cuban I know who cooks well. When it was time to pack up, I was shocked that no one ate it - people thought it was Korean rice with black beans - a distinctly different flavour - but a strikingly similar appearance.

band that I like: http://jeites.blogspot.com/
I heard this on the very secluded Bottle Beach in Thailand. Spanish? Chica? Spanish! yes! I asked the laid back dude who worked there, and he disappeared into a back room. The music stopped, then he came out a second later with a CD-R with "JEITES.BLOGSPOT.COM" written in black permanent marker in stylized capital letters that were hard to read. They were from Argentina and had left the CD a few months before during their stay. check out "si vos queres" on the player on the main page.
Purchase I am ashamed of: faux UGGS. I have hated these fugly boots for so long. I also hate crocs by the way. Anyways it was really snowing in Seoul and my feet got wet in my stylish but not made for winter black shiny boots. So I was forced to find a pair of cheap and warm shoes.... and settled on these for $20. But... I have continued to wear them. They are so comfortable, and complement my most common work outfit that is a combination of leggings and baggy tops a la japan-korea region of asia.

The trouble with Korean names
These are three of the people I report to on a daily basis. The man at the top is the media manager, and we see each other a lot because he gives me my scripts and arranges my schedule. When we were introduced, I heard the Korean word for hospital: Byungwon. But it's actually ByungGwan.

Hospital isn't that bad. But this next example is:

A friend of mine couldn't remember the name of a waiter she has a crush on.
"What's his name? Uh.. maybe Byun Tae?"
Byun Tae = perv.
She was right, it ends in Tae, but it's Jun Tae.... ay yi yiii

DDONG PPANG: this bean-paste-filled winter bread is shaped like poo.

This second photo is quite small, but they actually have a step by step process illustrated to poo, complete with flies buzzing around.

Simple Pleasure:
One of the finest things in life is waking up, enjoying a lazy coffee and just strolling. Vacation is a mentality. i don't have to LEAVE korea. I can create it. I have discovered that i am one of those people that 1-sleeps less than many others and 2 - enjoys getting up earlier than most people consider to be sane. While Nicolas slept in my favourite classy love motel in Seoul, I got up and went for a walk in Itaewon. I went up the road to the mosque that is full of foreign food stores, went to a bookstore, bought some fluffy orange socks because my feet were cold, and then had a leisurely coffee and croissant at "Paris Baguette" as I watched the people traffic.

No comments: