Monday, April 26, 2010

salsa etc.

Le midnight croissant! (purchased at "Paris Baguette)

Tonight I had so much fun I was debating on leaving Korea! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new salsa class. I am studying with "Kitten" who is a fabulous dancer best known for her highly sexy styling and curvaceous physique (by Korean standards) at a salsa club called Caribe. I was in heaven! I learned some body isolation and body rolls, salsa style booty pops, some new steps and turns, and some pretty shines with delicate ladies styling. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

And the Caribe owner is interested in enlisting my PR skills to help him promote a weekly latin night targeting the foreign community. But unfortunately I could not stay while the rest of the ladies were filming kitten doing the moves. The salsa shoes were slipped into their bag and I zipped up my ridiculously high peep toe booties, and went to the second club of the night. And did I mention that I'm talking about a Monday? Welcome to Melinda's life pre-salsa show.

I headed to Urban next where a couple of our salseros were waiting. We have a great mix of foreigners (I'm gonna have to stop using this word back home) and Korean students who are doing a rueda. There was a bit of a mixup as I tried to decide whether to dance as a man or woman - I am a proud androgynous salsa dancer - but I went with woman. It was a pretty chill Monday night crowd at the club, but we had a bit of an audience.

There were a few Koreans who were enjoying some drinks at the bar who got excited about salsa and got up to learn. One of the guys I met was a modern dance teacher and he invited me to one of his shows. He asked me if I wanted his foreign or Korean name. I said the Korean one, which was Dong-wook. why? because I have grown tired of Koreans using crappy English names. Why should you have an English name? You already have a Korean one. Dong-wook will always be a better name than Jacob Tutu, Converse, or Microwave.

I actually met a guy yesterday who said he used to go by Peter, but now uses his Korean name. That was sweet sweet music to my ears and I celebrated by piercing a slab of kimchi with my metal chopsticks and exclaiming MASHITDA.

But back to Dong-wook. He told me that he knows Mexican-style salsa. I made a weird face as images of norteno dancing popped into my head. Then he said, "Mexico.. Colombia salsa." Salsa snob that I am, I let him know that Mexican style doesn't exist... "to my knowledge," I threw in as an afterthought (Confucious gets to you once you're here long enough, trust me. All that bowing and two-handed serving and indirect making of requests.... I can't control it anymore). And allow me to interject right here, that Ecuador doesn't have a salsa style either. Sure,

Ecuadorians dance salsa. Not strikingly well compared to say, Colombians, but other types of music like cumbia, merengue and *gasp* techno, are popular. But the people who dance it really well (i.e. lots of turns which always impress people) the way lots of North Americans like to imagine are really a small minority.

Anyways once we agreed that Colombian style is awesome, me and Dong-wook high fived each other and I was on my way to catch a cab home.

A smaller group of us will also be doing the pretty complicated dance with some flips and stunts - this time we'll film it and you'll see us doing the no-hand cartwheel and jumping onto the guys with one leg in the air. Stuntage: 100% courtesy of Ms. Sanchez. (I'm glad she made us do it) Looks like Daegu is going to have a serious month of latin parties this month.... nice-suh.

Now to see a huge shift in tone, this is what I wrote earlier at my desk during the dreary dreary gray day that was today:

Writer's block.

Suddenly I become fascinated in reading news articles. A quick search on Al Jazeera turns into career stalking of Imran Garda and Teresa Bo. How did they get where they are? What can I do to get there, too?

It is absolute torture to be sitting down. TORTURE. I listen to salsa. I mentally walk through the choreography we will practice tonight. My mind can leave, my mind can go.. .anywhere but here.

My concentration definitely sucks today. But my posture is fantastic, as Asha points out. Probably because of the vast amounts of dance in my life these days. But let's backtrack a bit, and talk about the weekend - significantly more interesting than my weekdays. So there were two birthday parties. Asha's, which started with a lovely dinner and transitioned into dancing, and another party that required all attendees to wear togas. A large number of my friends were involved, including some salsa gente. I don't really do togas, so I went with a festive neon-blue cheetah print dress, which I claim helps me sell the salsa class. I always wear dresses to salsa, and I like to add a barrio fab edge, however, I was put in my place by Nakia: "Looks like you're selling a lot more than the class."





But regardless of toga and dinner parties, salsa must happen, so I went to Babalu to assist our LA style guest instructors to do their thing. But upon arrival at the club I was in for a surprise. Alexander, my beloved Babalu employee and friend, quit his job at the salsa club to take an acting job in Seoul.

He has provided hours of entertainment and witty commentary, and taught me a few secrets, like the fact that some Korean guys call ugly girls "ogres" and pretend that they will kill them, as if life were a video game. He also explained the nightclub system in detail, taught me what actually goes down on some hiking retreats for middle-aged singles, helped us out with salsa practices and parties including filming us as we prepared performances, taught me a lot about Korean culture and food (cheese kimbab!) and helped me practice a whole lot of Korean - with the "coveted" Seoul accent. He was extremely patient as I struggled to pronounce the evil evil double consonants that I fail to hear.




I also had the joy of teaching him phrases like "batti ridah" and "batti bwoy" and watching the reaction on a Guyanese man's face when he said it to him.




But wait.....look at this pic! those are batti ridahs if I've ever seen 'em. And thus me and the batti ridified man agreed that I was allowed to use the phrase batti ridah just that one time. And look at how the birthday girl's a champ!


















GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
I'm doing a countdown to the Ecuador vs. South Korea game on May 16. I have a flag, a 2006 jersey, a faux Adidas jacket, an assortment of patriotic azul amarillo y rojo jewelery, and even face paint. Sorry Korea, but this time I want you to lose.

I am also taking a break from my weekly private language classes to focus on salsa - a woman only has so many hours in a day- but I did attend a language exchange event yesterday which was a great opportunity to meet some new people and practice my Korean. neeeEEEE.

No comments: