Wednesday, April 14, 2010

부비부비 I've had enough! ㅠㅠ



Layers of pink chiffon, cute tiny little shuffling steps, delicate feminine giggling, large bows and ruffles, patent leather shoes and the general look I wore to church when I was four years old but on a grown woman... these are all things that rub me the wrong way, which already set me up to be pissed off by this commercial.




Call me a proper young lady, but there are certain things that make me cringe like nails on a blackboard because they seem so goshdarn inappropriate. One of those is the word "pee". I absolutely hate hearing people talk about how they are about to go pee. I strongly believe that everyone should just excuse themselves and be on with their business before returning to said social situation without any mention of the last five minutes of their life.



But what takes gross to a whole new level is the phrase 부비부비...which means grinding, whining, apegado, or dancing close. But it's worse. Korean has many onomatopoeic sounds such as chika chika for tooth-brushing, but bubi bubi is supposed to be the sound of two bodies rubbing together. One time in club, before approaching from behind, a Korean guy asked me, "Do you know Korean-dance 부비부비?" And Sunday nights at club Monkey in Daegu are designated 부비 nights.



Part of the reason this offends me so much is that 부비부비 is a term that uses cutesiness to refer to something sexual. This is just as repulsive as a man busting out some baby talk in the bedroom.






So imagine my utter horror and disbelief when I saw this cell phone commercial. My Korean co-worker says that it's okay that the phrase bubi-bubi is being used because of Ji-yeon's cute outfit and girlish look, complete with the decidedly juvenile floppy bow. "It's innocent because she looks cute." And if this cellphone has the "bump" bluetooth file transfer function, I suppose it is 1% more acceptable to say the b-word. But I am still grossed-out by the existence of the term 부비부비, and hope that it goes out of style real soon - a common trait of all fashion trends in Korea, so fingers crossed.



1 comment:

J.Ali said...

I just think the commercials are so dammed annoying. it's cringe-worthy to see them move around and rub against each other and glass.