Tuesday, March 2, 2010

TV, Korean lessons, and a Monday night


FOREIGNER!
Arirang is Korea's "Number 1 English network"
To make a long story short, I applied for a spot on an Arirang TV travel show and I got it. So I'm going on a four-day trip with another foreign young woman I haven't met yet, and an Arirang TV crew. We're going to the south of South Korea to Yeosu Sado, Geoje Haekumgang, Hakdongmongdol beach (islands etc. but not as far as Jeju) and will be on TV. We're filming starting this Saturday, and I'm really excited. I'll let you guys know where and when you can watch it - but it will definitely be available on the website after it airs.
~~~~~~^^ ~~~~~~
I have a new Korean teacher and I like her. Just like my last teacher at the Daegu YMCA, she was trained to teach Korean as a foreign language at Keimyung Univeristy, and is helping me out with my brand new text book. That's right - I graduated into my second book of Korean, 서강 한국어 1B. Asa!
~~~~~~^^ ~~~~~~
Yesterday I left work on time, for a change. Asha and I went downtown on the subway. It's always a dilemma of subway versus cab. But during rush hour, the subway is faster. It's also cheap - when you buy a reload-able card its less than 90 cents a ride.The trains stop exactly where they are supposed to. And you know when the next train is coming to the minute. There are signs and audio announcements in English, but the real reason to take the subway, is the PEOPLE WATCHING.
Downtown Daegu is a youth culture mecca. Clothing, shoes, and accessories are sold in tiny boutiques that line the streets. Bright flashing lights, couples walking in a huddle linked at the arm, street food stands covered with clear plastic sheets for a makeshift shelter, and coffee shops galore.
We went to the theatre and read the English movie options. There are always a few English movies, and Korean is available in subtitles. But the movie titles themselves are English words spelled out in Korean. I told the lady at the counter what we wanted, then she switched to English and said "middle or front". I pulled out my money, but Asha was baffled - she hadn't been to the movies here yet and didn't know there was assigned seating. It's one of those things I forget about as being different. We saw Atom Egoyan's Chloe and I was ecstatic to see Toronto.

Home sweet home, yes. I'll be there in a while.

No comments: