Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A guy carried my purse.


I was with some friends, and we were going into an "Indian" sheesha/wine establishment. Before I could walk past the sheer sequined fabric, shoes had to be removed. Aptly predicting the difficulties in simultaneously unzipping a tall stilletto boot and keeping one's balance, my Korean guy friend instintively grabbed my purse. He also did it again on the way out - and continued to hold it.


And I actually had to ask him for it back.
The boyfriend/guy friend carrying the purse is such a quintessential sight in Korea that it's even represented in the Ladies Room, as captured by a friend of mine who said, "I wasn't sure if I was in the right bathroom or not."

Let's be clear that this guy already has his own man purse, complete with chest strap. The red hand bag is an additional and undoubtedly female purse, which seems to say: "Your man is waiting for you outside the bathroom with your purse." However, this guy is pictured mid-stride, which could also suggest that he is walking with the purse for an extended period of time, rather than holding it for a brief moment.

Although the foreign community in Korea makes fun of it, I have to say it can be pretty damn practical. I probably would have fallen over while un-zipping those stiletto boots if I was also balancing a purse - and my own body- but only because my fierce boots have a 5-inch (reflective silver) fierce heel.

No comments: